Thursday, January 3, 2013

Scandinavian Mystery

 This is a category in this year's reading challenge.  I have wanted to have a look at  Steig Larrson's Millenium Trilogy for quite a while, but as usual I like to wait until the furor is down and after all the books in the series have been published.  I have to say right now I am not so sure I want to continue.  I can state with absolute certainty that I will not see the movie.  The book was graphic enough. 
First impressions were not good.  After about thirty pages I was thinking about ditching the book as my eyes glazed over from the financialese, but then it got interesting and I didn't want to put the book down (no matter how awful the subject material). 
It did inspire a need to have more information about Sweden since my knowledge is limited to a little music, some mythology,  IKEA  and Kaffe Fassets Quilts in Sweden (which I will be writing about later on this year).  It was amusing for me, after reading an article about Swedish food, that when I went back to the book and Larsson would write about what the main protagonist was eating  I could clearly picture it in my head.  I also listened to Adrian Lux and Peter, Bjorn & John while reading the e-book version of this story.  Lux in particular resonated with the reading experience. 
Which in a way explains why I don't want to see the movie.  I have a pretty good picture in my mind already and I really don't want to have what Hollywood has done to sully that impression in my mind (though the paperback version I own has the two actors on the cover, it just slightly influences my image). 
Will I read the next two?  I actually care about the female protagonist and I'm curious to see what will happen next, and it is interesting to see what will happen with the male protagonist too... but I won't be doing it anytime soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment