Thursday, April 25, 2013

Tarzan of the Apes

I can't believe that I waited until I was forty three before I finally read this book!  When I was a kid there was this tv show which I have very vague memories of...  Tarzan's call and some kind of strange control over the animals in the jungle... pretty stupid I think, but then, when you are making a television show you have to make up stuff to keep the kids interested right?
Thankfully, the book was way more interesting, and considering the cavalier attitude that Rice Burroughs had to writing, it was very well done.  While I haven't seen any movies of this book (which is quite puzzling to me considering that my favorite, Christopher Lambert, played the role in one of them), I have always had a vague idea of how the story went.  It was good to finally have the whole story as it was intended, and oh boy was I pleasantly surprised!  There is a romantic element to Rice Burroughs that I had not really expected (having only read A Princess of Mars so far).  This guy knew the good stuff and he has been exciting and enthralling people (like Ray Bradbury) for nearly a hundred years.  I mean at some point to go and read some more adventures of Tarzan, because romantic as it was, it wasn't the end of the story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment