Sunday, May 26, 2013

Siddhartha


Wow!  Something that I have struggled to express and explain for many years has come together in a simple explanation within just two chapters in this book.  I almost cried from the revelation (I still might).   
Siddhartha was not what I expected.  Just the title and the cover told me everything (or so I thought).  It's not what you think.  This isn't the story of the Buddha, it's a story about a man named Siddhartha.  He still has a spiritual journey and it is quite similar to the Buddha but their enlightenment is achieved in very different ways.

   "When Siddharta listened attentively to this river, to this song of a thousand voices; when he did not listen to the sorrow or laughter, when he did not bind his soul to any one particular voice and absorb in his Self, but heard them all, the whole, the unity; then the great song of a thousand voices consisted of one word: Om-perfection."
                                                                                Siddhartha by Herman Hesse

It is such a beautiful sentence, so deep and sigificant, piercing into my heart. It makes me want to weep with joy. It would take me years, probably my lifetime, to explain everything that is in my heart, how I see the world and everything in it.  Though I have not really tried to reveal that to anyone, that inner Self, just tried to show it by deeds instead.  I have tried to 'be' the world I wish to see, and be true to my beliefs by acting in a certain way.  It's very personal and vitally important for everyone all at the same time, because understanding the nature of myself, is the first step to finding my heart and being able to share what I am.  But that's okay... I don't expect anyone to understand or see the world as I do, which is part of the whole as I see it anyway, it's that infinite diversity thing (no comments from the peanut gallery thanks).  Which impresses me more about Siddhartha because it is so much of what I would like to say, and what I want in an ideal world.  But don't take my word for it, read the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment