Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Logan's Run

Hoo boy was I pleased to find that this was a novel!  I loved the movie and even, as a kid, played some sort of chasing game with the Logan's run theme (I think my character name was Cassiopea 12 or something really glamorous like Geraldine 5).  All very silly of course, and sobering as well because this is a pretty scary dystopian story.  At the time there were lots of them along that kind of theme.  I'm talking about the television show of course, since the movie would not have been suitable for television at the time.  I got to see the movie a few years ago on Turner Classic Movies, and was pretty excited about that.  But not as excited as finding the book!  I have rarely ever found a movie or television show that was actually better than it's book, and Logan's Run by William F. Nolan and George Clayton Johnson did not disappoint.  I didn't want to put it down and when I had to, very quickly picked it up again as soon as I was home from work.  I have to admit that I found certain things in the movie that did not make sense, like the murder of people who were at the limit of their life span in a carrousel (like the Roman circus) for the poplace to watch as entertainment, it seemed unnecessarily cruel to me to do that, considering that everything else seemed so technologically advanced., so why the barbarism?  Well guess what?  It's not in the book!  Just good old Hollywood or whoever filmed the movie trying to "improve" on what the authors wrote.  It has mostly been my experience that these kind of changes rarely improve anything. 
So take it from me...just go and read the book! 

No comments:

Post a Comment