Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Pushing the Edge: Irregular Non Fiction

I have been trying to extend myself by reading non fiction, and also reading non fiction that I would ordinarily avoid.

Naked Pictures of Famous People by Jon Stewart

I will say right off that this book annoyed me.  I found it to be for the most part really petty and immature.  What I can tolerate in small amounts every now and again with my husband (The Daily Show), I have discovered is my limit.  I like Jon Stewart.  I like how he pokes holes in so many of today’s crazy things happening in the States, and how he stands up for what he believes in.  He’s 'good folks'.  I just couldn't  handle such a concentrated dose of his comedy.

 
The Book of Useless Information by Noel Botham

I gained something from reading this, I just can’t tell you what it is because as soon as I had read it, my brain automatically erased it from my memory.

 Let’s Explore Diabetes With Owls by David Sedaris

This one I picked up because I had seen him on the Daily Show and thought he was pretty funny.  I think maybe that this kind of book really doesn’t do anything for me.  Either I get annoyed, or frustrated, and I do not benefit from the experience (Bossypants anyone?), or it is a learning experience for me.  This wasn’t it.  I was curious what he had to say about Australia, but I’m not sure what he actually said… I’m not sure what points he made about anything.  It was an interesting read, the parts about his father where hilarious.  I just don’t know what he meant over-all to say.

So I think that I have discovered that non fiction by comedians is not my kind of reading.  I suspected this last year after reading Bossypants, but now I know it for certain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment