Friday, November 22, 2013

Of Mice and Men

 https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgpVy1UTFb67FblI0_M8kb3D3VFL7PrbeDNTrD9JB69a3JYXg5BE8D9CvLND0G0-1C9VC0gUS6cGoEO7nlR_5xKShI3i-sAx0exvMcw74vLnkTHcql8qijz2UjesWtqwlwVqo7wu25hVy8/s320/Of+Mice+and+Men+by+John+Steinbeck.jpg
   Since I did not study this book in highschool it was shocking to realise just how much this particular book has invaded popular culture.  It immediately occurred to me on reading certain lines spoken by one of the protagonists, Lennie,  that Looney Tunes had parodied this character and it was disturbing to realise that, because this story is so profoundly sad, that the folks at Warner Brothers thought it darkly amusing to feature this in a children’s cartoon.

I have always been reluctant to read Steinbeck.
Of Mice and Men was simply awful.  Well written, but about such an ugly topic.  I was impressed by Steinbeck’s imagery of the outdoors at the beginning and end of the book (it is curious that he did it that way instead of establishing scenarios throughout the story and changes of scenes).  It is almost as if he can see only beauty in nature and that humans are not worthy of the same effort.  The book was clearly written as something to be acted out in a play, and I can honestly say that I will not be attending any performances.  I was left feeling nauseated, sick at the ugliness of human nature which even Steinbeck’s descriptions of the scenery in the last act did nothing to cleanse from my heart.  
I hope that rest of his work is unlike in character to this one, but I suspect it will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment