Sunday, January 5, 2014

Fortunately, the Milk.

                              http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/235/e/a/fortunately__the_milk_by_skottieyoung-d6jdt8e.jpg
I have been working for quite some time on a limited budget to get all of Gaiman's juvenile literature for the school library.  Why?  Because they are unique, quirky and engaging (and oh so very Neil).  That is right...Neil Gaiman has a certain style which I am beginning to recognise and admire.
Fortunately, the Milk, is hilarious.  I was chuckling from the very beginning and outright snorting with laughter at the end.
I have only seen the Skottie Young illustrations, but I understand that Chris Riddell also illustrated a version (and why is it that there are two versions?  That is annoying but I think that given a choice I would probably go for the Riddell version, even though I like both illustrators).  So if I can't convince you to have a look, this blurb from Neil's website really ought to do it...         

                                     
There's no milk.  So Dad saves the day by going to buy some. Really, that’s all that happens.  Very boring. Soooooooo boring. YAAAAAAAWWWN. You don't want to read it.   There are absolutely definitely none of the following things inside: PIRATES!  GLOBBY GREEN ALIENS! INTERGALACTIC POLICE! ANGRY VOLCANO GODS  DEMANDING HUMAN SACRIFICE! And most definitely NOT a time-travelling  hot-air balloon piloted by the brilliant Professor Steg . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment