Friday, January 17, 2014

The Detective Wore Silk Drawers

                     https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhicPDFoCtcRPLm3vka0SVPiXQABkLZg-JKSFxjlf9fel-YgKP4VcelmoHMwkmG39jqwFOCzj_KimMtBq0Agee9LDM1VSGmTJbzhb385G3YGT51tbxLjskmhB6QhQrBOj8f_oSjHuhCS4Q/s1600/SILK+2.jpg
This was the next book to be taken off the stack I currently have by my reading chair.  This was an impulse buy, bought purely on it's merit as a Penguin and I implicitly trust Penguins (especially at second-hand book stores where part of my criteria for treasure hunting  is that if it is a Penguin it ought to be good, and at that inexpensive price what is the risk?).  I was not wrong with that assumption, it is a good book.  Just not my cup of tea.    I am essentially a non-violent person and this book was prevalently violent.  I did not like those bits at all, which made the book a punishment to get through and because of this it also took a longer than usual time for me to finish it.   What was of interest was the time period, and of how Scotland Yard was beginning to do such things as having policemen working under cover to catch their murderer.  I hated what happened to the under cover policeman though, but for the sake of the story I believe it was necessary as they were after all just experimenting with this kind of policework, and had not as yet come up with regulations about the safety and welfare of their staff.  
The book ended well, though, and if you are someone who can handle all of the 'scrapping', you  might enjoy this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment