Monday, January 22, 2018

Busy (personal)

  Ever since I started my new job last September I have been cramming like crazy, familiarizing my self with my new library, trying to find out what I can bring to this new relationship, and what I can do to make it grow (yes...it is a relationship, and hopefully, a long-lasting one).  I have always thought that libraries are all about accessibility and it has been a driving force for me to make the library where I used to work a safe, comfortable place where you can indulge in books, learn how to use them, and be confident where you go that a library is a good place to be, and somewhere you want to go. 

Same with my new library.  So far my projects have been familiarising myself with our collection, and with the students (which has been a really challenging thing to do as the format is completely different in a high school library than in a primary school where I saw all the kids every week.  At my new place, it's a trickle of students in comparison).

It was overwhelming to say the least, and everything felt so strange.  There's no way to candy coat it, but I had to leave my old job because for the past five years or so I have been working under a very horrible supervisor, and I felt that it would be unbearable to work another year under her dictatorship.  So on top of the newness of a my current library, I was overwhelmed in another way... I wasn't used to living without this constant oppression, so in consequence I was floating instead.  I had to learn how to float!  It took a while to learn how because I was crushed for so long.  After four months at my new job... I'm still floating!
  
So this is a roundabout way of saying that I have been very busy, so busy that I have not been able to write about what I have been reading, but I hope to change that this calendar year, because I have a plan and a couple of goals to reach and it would be very exciting to share my experiences as well as my new focus, young adult books,  with everyone.  

More on this very soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment